Fresh Starts Culinary Academy is Homeward Bound’s flagship job-training program, serving low-income students from the community as well as Homeward Bound residents.
Students work hands-on in our kitchen to learn core skills for a career in the busy culinary industry! The 10-week course, valued at $10,000, enrolls eligible students without charge. We offer a $1,000 bonus to each student upon completion.
As a trainee, key benefits include:
- Learning from professional chefs with broad experience in restaurants, institutional kitchens, and catering for events
- Classroom sessions on professional development and personal finance
- Food Handler & ServSafe Manager certification fees included
- Uniforms and kitchen-approved shoes provided at no charge
- Transportation assistance, if needed
- Job placement support
Students may apply online or download and print an application to let us know that you’re ready to get cooking! We are a 100% vaccinated workforce, and all Fresh Starts Culinary Academy students must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
For questions, please contact Chef Instructor Andrew Wild by email or call 415-382-3363 x231.
Fresh Starts Culinary Academy has been designed for students to build skills in two Homeward Bound kitchens, with the added opportunity to work at Fresh Starts Chef Events, a series of celebrity chef dinners produced by Homeward Bound. Our team also produces Wagster Treats dog biscuits and Halo HomeMades, a sister line of jams and salsas.